Still looking for a Halloween costume for your kiddo? Here’s an easy way to turn a t-shirt into an owl costume in a couple of hours. If you don’t have a sewing machine, you can simply glue the fabric feathers onto the costume with permanent fabric glue found at your local sewing shop or craft supply store. You can cut up old t-shirts or other old clothing for the feathers. So just cut and glue. Easy, right? I think this would also work pretty well for a wild thing costume.
-dark colored tee
-fabric scraps (50-60 feathers)
-thread and sewing machine (or permanent fabric glue)
1. Cut out the feathers from fabric scraps using the template below.
2. Begin pinning and sewing in rows from the bottom (or just line them up and glue).
3. Continue until you reach the top and then form a circle around the neckline.
4. Print out the owl mask and cut it out. With a craft knife, cut out the center eye holes.
5. Attach the mask to the sunglasses with tape. Hoot!
Click here to download the template for mask and feathers: Download file
Simple is better, so if you’re looking for a handmade idea for Halloween, try converting a t-shirt into a cute bat costume in a few quick steps. Much like my owl costume from last year, this project can be made quickly, is comfortable for kids to wear and it’s fun! It does involve a sewing machine, but even a beginner can master this one.